Direct application onto the skin is one of the easiest ways to use essential oils. It is also a highly effective method since essential oils can easily pass through the lipid membranes of cell walls. They are able to penetrate cells and disperse throughout the body within minutes. The bottom of the feet is a good place to apply oils directly because many nerve endings are found there and the pores of the skin are large in that area.
Before you start, remember to test a small area of the skin first. Apply one oil or blend at a time. When layering oils that are new to you, allow 15-30 minutes between each oil to give the body a chance to respond before applying a second oil.
The longer essential oils stay in contact with the skin, the more likely they are to be absorbed. To reduce evaporation and enhance penetration, putting socks on after applying can help.
Carrier oils extend essential oils when they are applied to a large area, and can decrease skin irritation as well. When applying essential oils to children, always use a carrier oil. Examples of common carrier oils include coconut oil, grapeseed oil, vitamin e oil, sweet almond oil, & olive oil.
Diffusing essential oils is a perfect way to improve your home, work, or living environment. Diffusing can purify the air and neutralize mildew, cigarette smoke or other odors as well as protect you and your family from harmful things we breathe in the air. Diffusing can also help with mood regulation.
To inhale essential oils, try the following:
- Place 2 drops into the palm of your hand; rub clockwise with the other hand. Cup hands together over the nose and mouth and inhale deeply.
- Add several drops of an essential oil to a bowl of hot (not boiling) water. Inhale the vapors that rise from the bowl. A towel can be placed over the head and bowl to increase the intensity of the vapors.
- Apply a few drops of essential oil to a cotton ball, tissue, natural-fiber handkerchief, or clay necklace and inhale periodically.
Young Living’s Seed to Seal guarantee gives us the confidence that we know EVERYTHING in our oil bottles, and that is absolutely nothing except essential oil. This means that if we choose, many of the oils can be taken internally! The Vitality line is a line of Dietary oils, all safe and intended for internal use.
To ingest essential oils, try the following:
- Make a capsule using empty vegetable capsules. Fill it with carrier oil and swallow.
- Try a drop or two (start slow!) in your water, NingXia Red, smoothies, cocktails, & other drinks.
- Use in your cooking in place of or addition to herbs, spices, or citrus zest. Health benefits galore!
Essential oils are very potent, so you have to be cautious when you use them. Remember, a little goes a long way!
- Less is more! You can always add another drop, so start slow, whether you’re using your oils topically, aromatically, or internally.
- Due to potency, some oils may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex or pure vegetable oil to the affected area to dilute.
- Always read label directions for each individual oil before use.
- Do not put essential oils in eyes, ears, nose, or other areas with sensitive skin.
From your first bottle of Lavender essential oil to a seven-oil combination in your diffuser, learning how to use essential oils is a process. I’m happy to help you every step of the way!