What is Dermaplaning?
Well, for starters…. you could call it a best kept beauty secret! I’m going to walk you through 6 reasons you should try dermaplaning and how you can do (a version of) it at home!
First, let’s start with what is dermaplaning? Dermaplaning (or microplaning or blading) is not your traditional method of shaving… that’s right; don’t just go grab your hubby’s razor and shave away! 🙈
6 reasons you should try dermaplaning
1. It’s a gentle and painless exfoliant treatment that removes peach fuzz and dead skin with a tiny scrape scalpel.
2. It helps make the surface of your skin smooth, youthful & brighter and can be done on any skin type.
Think about all that your skin is exposed to on a daily basis. Makeup, pollution, sun damage, etc. This can cause the top layer of your skin to appear dull and can make you look more aged/older. So, removing the dead skin cells bring the newer skin cells forward.
3. As I mentioned before, it removes peach fuzz, dead skin cells and can help reduce acne scarring.
4. Besides having more youthful looking skin, your face will be SO smooth! As a professional makeup artist, I can tell you that this helps tremendously with makeup application.
For starters, your skincare will penetrate more deeply providing you better results because it doesn’t have to fight through all that dead skin and peach fuzz.
Each one of your makeup products will glide on more smoothly, look more polished and will last longer! Have you ever noticed how your peach fuzz stands out more after you put foundation on? Problem solved!
5. Dermaplaning can be combined with other facial treatments. This is a great prep for your skin, allowing the other treatments to be more effective.
6. Finally, you’ll see instant results that last for up to 1 month. **Cue the confetti!!
Esthetician or DIY?
With a professional
If you’re able to go to an esthetician, you can ask for this professional service as a part of your facial. It’s the real deal! You may even notice your skin looking brighter immediately! But it could take a day or two to appreciate the full results.
Having it done by an professional esthetician or dermatologist will clear away about three weeks worth of dead skin cells and peach fuzz because they use a medical scalpel. After three to four weeks, the results will have faded and you can do it again. **You’ll get a more thorough exfoliation of dead skin cells when doing it with a professional.
There are face razors you can use at home to do yourself; however they will only take care of the peach fuzz and a little bit of the dead skin laying on top.
I think this is a great option that every woman should do to maintain a better skin care regimen and makeup application. **But try to get to a pro a few times a year, if you can, for a more thorough exfoliation!
If you want to try at home, here is what I recommend.
- Start by washing your face. If you have sensitive or more acne-prone skin, I love the LaRoche-Possay Effaclar Medicated Gel Cleanser.
- If you have more sensitive skin or it’s your first time, add a face oil first to help the blade glide more smoothly and soothe the skin. I love a good Rosehip Oil because it’s “Nature’s Botox”. The Ordinary Cold Pressed Rosehip Oil is fantastic.
- My favorite face razors are the Tinkle Razors and I love this four pack (with three razors in each)!!
- You can continue with your normal skin care routine. Be sure not to miss a hydrating moisturizer!! If you need a recommendation, the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair is gentle and soothing.
- After any type of dermaplaning, your skin is more susceptible to the sun so be sure to take your sun protection seriously! My go to sunscreen is Supergoop’s MatteScreen
Now I’m sure you’re asking….
But does your hair grow back thicker or darker?
The short answer is NO!
Your hair will grow back at the same thickness, color and speed as it always has. It could feel different as it’s growing back because it’s been cut straight across.
Will dermaplaning cause breakouts?
It will actually do the opposite!! Getting rid of all that junk will do wonders for your skin. The buildup of dead skin can clog your pores and hair follicles which will cause breakouts and prevent your skincare from fully penetrating.
Does it hurt?
Nope! If you’re trying out a facial razor on your own, be sure to go down or in the direction of your hair growth. Use a light hand and be gentle.
I hope this was informative and helped clear up any questions you may have about dermaplaning. I 100% recommend to my brides but think it’s a great regimen any woman can add to her routine.
If you give it a try, tag me on IG @lovelybylindsey or comment here to let me know your thoughts!